CSR & Sustainability
As the owner of the electricity distribution company in Western Bulgaria, CEZ operated thousands of electrical inspection boards, which it had to take care of to be clean and in good condition. Although the company worked hard, the boards were often broken, damaged, or used to glue posters.
In order to set a positive example, CEZ Bulgaria, in partnership with Sofia Municipality, has launched a campaign to improve the urban environment and encourage the residents of the capital to take a more responsible attitude towards the electricity infrastructure. The campaign, called “Colorful Streets”, focused on improving the urban environment by painting 100 electrical inspection boards in the central parts of Sofia. The project was implemented in stages over two years and for its implementation involved associations of artists and young artists. Gradually, the initiative grew in other cities in Western Bulgaria, where CEZ developed its activities.
- Encourage the citizens of the capital to behave more responsibly towards the electricity infrastructure in the urban environment
- Strengthen the image of CEZ as a company that works to improve the environment in the regions where it develops its business
- Transformation of audit boards into piece of art
- Provide opportunities for performance of young artists in Sofia
- Work in cooperation with the local authorities in Sofia Municipality
- Draw the attention of the general public to the need to preserve and beautify the urban environment.
- Signing of a cooperation agreement with Sofia Municipality
- Establishing cooperation with organizations of young artists – Graffiti Association and Gallery of Modern Art
- Painting of 100 inspection boards on two of the most popular streets in Sofia – “Graf Ignatiev” and “G. S. Rakovski ”
- Two media events to mark the painting of the boards on each of the two streets – participation of the mayor of Sofia Municipality and some of the young artists who participated in the project
- 3 press releases to the national media
- Advertorials and interviews of CEZ representatives and young artists who painted the boards in print and online media
- A short film about the project, published on the website cez.bg
The “Colorful Streets” campaign was well received and received a very good response in the online space
Vandalism on billboards painted as part of the “Colorful Streets” campaign had sharply decreased
The initiative was widely covered in the media:
- 124 media publications
- 5 reports in national televisions
- 8 radio reports
- 23 printed and 88 online publications
The positive reactions encouraged the company to transfer the initiative to other cities in Western Bulgaria.